Canadian fashion mogul Peter Nygard denied bail

WATCH ABOVE: (Dec. 14) Calls for justice for alleged Nygard sexual assault survivors

TORONTO — Canadian fashion mogul Peter Nygard has been denied bail and will be detained in Toronto as he awaits trial.

Nygard is charged with six counts of sexual assault and three counts of forcible confinement, which police have said relate to alleged incidents in the late 1980s and mid-2000s.

He has denied all the allegations.

Read more:

Bail hearing underway in Toronto for Canadian fashion mogul Peter Nygard

None of the evidence or arguments presented in court can be published due to a standard publication ban, nor can any of the complainants be identified.

Nygard, the former head of a multimillion-dollar clothing company, was flown to Toronto from Winnipeg in October to face the charges.

He was first arrested in Winnipeg in 2020 under the Extradition Act after being charged with nine sex-related counts in New York.

More coming.

© 2022 The Canadian Press

City of Barrie offers incentive to trade parking tickets for restaurant receipts amid indoor dining ban

The City of Barrie is offering an incentive to support local businesses by trading parking tickets for restaurant meal receipts amid COVID-19 restrictions.

Officials said effective Jan. 18, residents who get a parking ticket in paid parking areas from the City can have that ticked nulled if they provide a receipt from a Barrie restaurant.

The amount on the meal receipt must be equal to or greater than the set fine — and within five days after getting the parking ticket.

Officials noted the set fine is on the bottom of the parking ticket.

“The City is committed to finding creative ways to encourage residents to support local, Barrie-based restaurants through curbside pick-up and takeout options while provincial restrictions are in place,” officials said in a press release.

The program was previously in place in April to June 2021 and was approved once again for 2022 as long as restaurants are closed for in-person dining and restricted to take out only due to COVID-19 mandates.

Officials said the program does not apply to tickets related to safety matters, or overnight on-street parking restrictions.

The City said requests for cancelling parking tickets with the restaurant receipt can be emailed to enforcement.services@barrie.ca.

 

© 2022 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Manitoba health officials to give COVID-19, vaccination update

Manitoba health officials will update the province Wednesday on the latest COVID-19 and vaccination numbers.

Dr. Brent Roussin and Dr. Joss Reimer will hold a press conference at 12:30 p.m.

Global News will livestream the presser in this story.

© 2022 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

COVID-19: SHA working on surge plan, monitoring increased demand on resources

Last week, the Saskatchewan Health Authority (SHA) revealed its updated COVID-19 surge plan to adjust to anticipated increases in health care demand and staff absences.

However, the health authority has not yet indicated when the plan will be activated in Saskatchewan.

On Jan. 3, hospitalizations were reported at 79 province-wide with 12 patients receiving care in intensive care units.

On Tuesday, the Saskatchewan government announced there were 189 people in hospitals with ICU hospitalizations at 18. Saskatoon has 12 of the province’s 18 ICU patients.

Read more:

Saskatchewan Health Authority updates COVID-19 surge plan

During a COVID-19 update from the Provincial Emergency Operations Centre on Tuesday, Derek Miller, the SHA’s recently named interim chief operating officer, said there are a number of strategies they are preparing to deploy in response to increasing demands on their facilities.

“We have identified certain steps in terms of demand as well as health care worker absences that would require redeployment of staff to support the COVID response,” Miller said during Tuesday’s update. “We also described last week the ‘Go Teams’ that may be established in order to augment our capacity within facilities.”

The SHA was asked if there was a figure for how many hospitalizations would be needed to begin halting surgeries. Miller responded by saying there is no specific number.

Read more:

Saskatchewan school divisions pivot as COVID-19 cases continue surge

 

“I will say that down to the local level, we are putting together plans that would potentially see service slowdowns,” stated Miller. “This may impact surgeries depending on what the demand is for those skilled health care workers in need for deployment.”

Saskatoon’s St. Paul and Royal University hospitals are facilities which recently reached capacity and don’t have any beds for more patients due to an influx of new cases in the city and surrounding area.

Read more:

Sask. physicians town hall speaks to COVID-19 case surge

On Sunday, an internal email from the SHA detailed how the bed situation is “very concerning” with 19 admissions pending at St. Paul’s and 20 at Royal University.

Saskatoon physicians were also asked to re-evaluate their admitted patients and discharge anyone who could be sent home in order to free up capacity for people waiting in emergency rooms.

“Like all facilities across the bay, we have detailed surge plans that describe the steps that would be taken as we start seeing increased corporate demand with the facility,” mentioned Miller. “Saskatoon facilities would be no different than that.”

Read more:

COVID-19: Two Saskatoon hospitals at capacity, according to internal email

Miller continued by stating one of the strategies includes the transfer of low acuity patients out of urban centres, and using capacity which might exist in other locations and regional centres so patient needs can be met.

“We may end up having to move people in order … to respond to increases in demand, especially in those urban centres.”

While Miller said there are detailed plans in place regarding how the SHA could expand capacity within facilities, he did not share when those plans would be activated.

— with files from Jeanelle Mendes and Nathaniel Dove

© 2022 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Driver escapes as fire spreads through transport truck on Hwy. 401 near Grafton

A driver managed to escape after a tractor trailer caught fire on Hwy. 401 just east of Grafton early Wednesday.

No injuries were reported after a tractor trailer caught fire on Hwy. 401 in Northumberland County early Wednesday.

Around 4:15 a.m., Cramahe Township firefighters were deployed to the scene on the highway’s westbound lanes about two kilometres east of Grafton.

Read more:

Transport loaded with 30,000 pounds of diapers rolls over on Hwy. 401

Officials say the truck driver managed to escape without injury.

The fire quickly spread through the cab and then the trailer. It’s not known what the trailer was carrying.

Northumberland OPP closed the westbound lanes as firefighters battled the blaze.

The cause of the fire remains under investigation.

— More to come.

© 2022 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Peterborough police are no longer identifying individuals charged with crimes

The Peterborough Police Service says its new policy of not naming an accused in its daily media releases follows policies being implementing by other police services across Ontario.

The service says its policy change went into effect on Jan. 14; however, media were not informed of the decision until Wednesday morning via a media release.

Police say the name of an accused will only be released if it is considered essential to the investigation or a matter of public safety.

Read more:

Peterborough police seek man following theft from Millbrook business

“During a review of the media relations policy, the issue was identified and as result of discussions the Peterborough Police Service feels the court process is the more appropriate process through which names should and can be released,” Chief Scott Gilbert said.

“In making this change, the service is continuing to focus on public safety, crime prevention and community policing rather than public shaming or increasing stigma.”

The service says the issue of releasing names has been an ongoing debate across policing and it is joining the growing number of services across the province with a similar policy.

The Durham Regional Police Service is one service that releases only the names of accused in more serious crimes.

The Guelph Police Service also does not release names. St. Thomas Police only release names of individuals who are recidivist — a convicted criminal who re-offends and are a threat to public safety or property.

© 2022 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Edmonton man killed in northern Alberta collision

RCMP have released more information about a fatal collision in northern Alberta last week that left an Edmonton man dead.

The 41-year-old was killed in a two-vehicle collision involving a car and semi-tractor trailer on Highway 2 south of Athabasca on Friday. The collision happened at about 1:35 p.m., at the intersection with Range Road 634.

Read more:

Highway 2 blocked in both directions after fatal crash in northern Alberta: RCMP

RCMP said the vehicle was heading north on Highway 2 when it pulled out to pass a slower-moving semi truck. The car hit the back of a different semi-tractor unit that was hauling a flat-deck trailer. Police said that semi was also heading north and had pulled into the southbound lane to make a left turn onto Range Road 634.

Highway 2 is undivided in this section, according to RCMP, with passing lanes available at intervals to allow for safe passing. Police said the highway was wet with some slush at the time of the collision.

The driver of the vehicle was pronounced dead at the scene. The Edmonton man’s name is not being released.

The driver of the semi was not injured.

An autopsy is scheduled with the Edmonton chief medical examiner.

Police continue to investigate but say further updates are not anticipated.

© 2022 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Windsor-Essex health unit rescinds instruction to halt entry of temporary foreign workers

The Windsor-Essex County Health Unit has done an about face just days after instructing all businesses in the region to halt further plans to bring in temporary foreign workers for at least three weeks.

The health unit’s acting medical officer of health’s instruction would have affected roughly 2,000 migrant workers.

At the time, Dr. Shanker Nesathurai said the southwestern Ontario region was grappling with a significant surge in COVID-19 outbreaks at agricultural enterprises. Within the span of a week, the region’s self-isolation hotel for migrant workers had filled and at least three additional hotels were also used in the self-isolation effort.

Read more:

Omicron COVID-19 variant concerning for Canadian food production, farm groups say

But at 6:30 p.m. last Friday, the health unit rescinded the Letter of Instruction. It stated that enough additional capacity for isolation had been secured to allow for the change.

“Throughout the week the health unit has worked with all levels of government to formulate a resolution to this issue,” the health unit said in a statement.

“With the concerted efforts of local leaders in the healthcare, housing, and social service community the region collectively was able to establish the level of support necessary to meet isolation requirements for workers who are sick or who have been exposed.”

Read more:

Undocumented health workers want access to permanent resident program

COVID-19 outbreaks among temporary foreign workers has been an issue throughout the pandemic. It has helped draw attention to the living conditions of migrant workers across Canada.

In December, an auditor general report found that the systems intended to safeguard temporary foreign workers working in Canada’s agricultural sector have “provided little assurance of protection” for their health or safety during the pandemic. Nesathurai said last Wednesday that there has been continuing dialogue between stakeholders and government officials but more could be done.

“Have there been significant changes between last year and this year? I’m not confident there have been significant changes.”

The Migrant Workers Alliance For Change described the initial instruction as another example of blaming for COVID-19 outbreaks on migrant workers “when the last two years have proven that it is abysmal living and working conditions that is the cause.”

After the instruction was rescinded, the alliance called on the provincial and federal governments to “do more to ensure” the safety of workers, including access to PCR testing, proper safety equipment, and full and permanent immigration status for workers.

© 2022 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

COVID-19: Nova Scotia premier and top doctor to hold briefing

Students are scheduled to return to in-person learning in Nova Scotia on Monday. While the number of daily cases are no longer hitting record heights, they’re still among the highest the province has seen in the pandemic and that has parents concerned. As Alicia Draus reports, however, new research suggests that the transmission risk in schools is low.

Nova Scotia Premier Tim Houston and Dr. Robert Strang, chief medical officer of health, are scheduled to hold a COVID-19 briefing on Wednesday afternoon.

The briefing will be live-streamed here at 3 p.m. AT.

Read more:

COVID-19 – Premier says time to ‘buckle down’ as N.S. reports 1 death, 13 new hospitalizations

As of yesterday, 73 people were in hospital who were admitted due to the virus. Their ages range from 0 to 100.

In addition to this figure, there were 183 people in hospital who have tested positive for the virus. Of those, 120 contracted COVID-19 after being admitted to hospital and 63 tested positive while being admitted for another reason, or were admitted for COVID-19 but “no longer require specialized care.”

This week, Nova Scotia became the only Atlantic Canadian province to return to in-person learning at public schools.

Parents and the Nova Scotia Teachers Union have voiced concerns about the province’s change in direction around COVID-19 in schools, which includes eliminating contact tracing.

Read more:

Return to in-class learning gets mixed reaction in Nova Scotia

Meanwhile, P.E.I. announced yesterday they are further locking down. Gyms are closed, in-restaurant dining is not permitted and online learning will continue for students until at least Jan. 31.

New Brunswick, which reported 347 health-care workers who have tested positive and are isolating as of yesterday, is still in Level 3 of its winter plan. That level includes single-household bubbles and no public gatherings.

© 2022 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Quebec reports 88 more COVID-19 deaths as hospitalizations top 3,425

A four-year-old girl has passed away in Quebec City due to “circumstances related to COVID-19,” according to hospital officials. Global’s Raquel Fletcher reports.

Quebec reported 3,425 active COVID-19 hospitalizations on Wednesday and 88 more deaths attributed to the virus.

The total death toll since the start of the pandemic is now 12,541.

Hospitalizations increased by eight with 359 new patients admitted and 351 discharged. Of those in hospital, 285 are in intensive care, for a decrease of four over the previous day.

Another 6,123 infections were recorded in the last 24 hours bringing the total caseload to 812,419. The number of cases does not accurately reflect the situation due to limited screening, according to the province.

Read more:

Quebec hospital plan could see ‘harm-reduction approach’ taken to COVID-19

While health officials said Tuesday the rise in hospitalizations driven by the Omicron variant seems to be  slowing, Quebec announced a contingency plan to allow for overburdened hospitals to continue operating.

Rather than focusing on keeping COVID-19 out of their facilities, hospitals would adopt a “harm-reduction approach” to the spread of the virus.

Some of the plan involves allowing workers infected with or exposed to the virus to continue working rather than isolating, and having family members of patients provide basic care to their loved one so medical staff can provide clinical care.

The province also announced that it would begin to distribute Pfizer’s COVID-19 antiviral pill Paxlovid to the population in a bid to eventually prevent further hospitalizations.

Read more:

Quebec set to distribute Pfizer’s pill to treat COVID-19, but with limited availability

Health officials however warn the pill will be reserved for people who are more vulnerable, at least in the next few months, due to limited supply.

While the pill offers hope, health experts are still stressing the need for people to be vaccinated.

In the last 24 hours, Quebec administered 110,035 doses of the COVID-19 vaccine. To date, more than 16.6 million shots have been administered, including more than 2.8 million booster shots.

In the province, 85.2 per cent of the population has received at least on dose, while 89.8 of Quebecers aged 12 and over are considered adequately vaccinated.

— With files from Global News’ Kalina Laframboise, Gloria Henriquez and The Canadian Press’ Jacob Serebrin

© 2022 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

You May Also Like

Top Stories